Our School App Stay connected on the go...
Merchants' Academy Trust
Merchants’ Academy Trust was founded in September 2016. The Trust currently comprises Merchants’ Academy, with students from Nursery through to Sixth Form, which opened in 2008 as an 11-18 Academy and became an all-age school with the addition of the Nursery and Primary in September 2012. In September 2016 Venturers' Academy, the first state funded all-age school in Bristol for students with autism, joined the Trust.
The Trust is sponsored by the Society of Merchant Venturers with both Merchants' Academy and Venturers' Academy also being co-sponsored by the Society of Merchant Venturers and the University of Bristol.
Our Academies are happy, vibrant and exciting places to learn and work and we take seriously the fact that our students only get one chance at an excellent education. We have high expectations and strive to ensure that everyone in our Academy communities are able to take advantage of the best available facilities and opportunities during their time with us.
Core Vision and Values
Our belief is that all young people can succeed if they have access to exceptional education in an empathetic, supportive environment. It is our ambition to provide this for all students in our schools.
The primary aim of Merchants’ Academy Trust is to ensure that all members of the family of schools develop a deep and sustained passion for learning and the academic and character skills necessary to achieve their ambitions and to prepare them for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of later life as global citizens.
In essence we shall be ‘Shaping the Future’. We expect every member of the Trust community to take responsibility for shaping their futures and be instrumental in shaping the futures of their communities. Merchants’ Academy Trust has a set of core values which are embedded in all of its schools whilst allowing each learning community to develop a distinctive identity relevant to its local community.
The strategic aims of Merchants’ Academy Trust are
- To secure high quality education provision that generates high aspirations and achievement
- To create a network approach to system-led school improvement
- To ensure all students excel across a range of performance measures
- To develop outstanding leadership and Governance within our schools and across Merchants’ Academy Trust
- To create thriving learning communities
The Trust’s strategic aims and ambitions are aligned with those of its sponsor.
The conditions required for Merchants’ Academy Trust to achieve its ambitions of a focus on every child achieving to their maximum potential will be:
- The creation of a challenging, engaging and values-led curriculum which focuses on the characteristics, values and habits that last a lifetime curiosity, creativity, confidence, ambition, resilience, optimism, responsibility and emotional intelligence
- Developing clearly defined challenging goals for English, Maths, Science and the enabling subjects of the Humanities, Languages and Computing as well as core skills
- Promoting cultural appreciation and a global perspective which will prepare students to take their place as active citizens
- A strong focus on supporting and engaging parents particularly in the early years and in the most disadvantaged families, with the aim that learning within the school and the wider context is enjoyed by everyone
- Promoting wider community involvement, including links with businesses and community groups
- A commitment to distributed leadership across the Trust and to empower staff through supportive and targeted professional learning and development
- Creating the systems, which enable learning to be at the heart of everything we do