Our School App Stay connected on the go...
Teaching & Learning
Merchants' Academy provides an exciting, personalised learning curriculum, which supports and challenges all of our students and is at the heart of our teaching and learning philosophy. We ensure that all teaching and support staff have access to the highest quality training programmes to provide the most innovative and cutting edge learning opportunities for every student.
Merchants' Academy aims to:
- Meet the needs and aspirations of all students
- Ensure all students can successfully access the curriculum offer, making any reasonable adjustments required where particular needs are identified
- Recognise high achieving students and ensure they are given opportunities to stretch and challenge their learning
- Plan opportunities for students to develop their personal potential
- Establish an agreed range of policies and practices to guarantee a consistent approach towards learning and teaching in every classroom.
- Involve all staff in developing and improving the quality of learning and teaching
- Provide all staff with developmental opportunities to extend and enhance their range of teaching and repertoires
- Develop staff to deliver skills beyond their own subject specialism and incorporate cross curricular initiatives
- Identify students’ achievements and areas for improvement, through rigorous monitoring of progress and to plan appropriate interventions to enhance learning
More Able Students
At Merchants' Academy we provide an extensive programme of support, challenge and intervention for our most able students. Students are assessed and identified at the beginning of each academic year, and the register of more able, gifted and talented students is regularly reviewed and updated. More Able students benefit from extensive differentiation, our enrichment programme of trips and extra-curricular clubs, and regular focussed pastoral support aimed at ensuring that able students are happy and achieve their maximum potential at all stages. Exceptional students benefit from personalised education plans and regular target setting meetings with staff.
The provision continues throughout a student’s time at the Academy and students benefit from opportunities such as trips to top universities and residential trips.
Teaching & Learning
MA Careers Education & Work Related Education Policy 01/07/2019 MA Curriculum Policy v 1.9.16.pdf 01/09/2016 MA Homework Policy 18/02/2019 MA Literacy policy v0220 14/02/2020 MA Marking and Assessment policy v27.6.17 27/06/2017 MA SMSC Policy v010919 01/09/2019 MA Teaching and Learning Policy 11/03/2019