Our School App Stay connected on the go...
Read OurLatest News
World Book Day at Secondary
- Celebrating 20 years of World Book Day across the UK.
The staff of Merchants' Academy Secondary took to fancy dress on World Book Day this year. Dressed as their favourite book or comic characters, students were quizzed on the book titles they were dressed from, and a competition took place to guess how many staff had worn fancy dress that day.
Nick Short, Principal at the Academy, had opted for his childhood favourite book called Funnybones by Janet and Allan Ahlberg, dressing as a skeleton for the day. Throughout the subject departments there were Nursery Rhyme characters, students from Harry Potter, comic book superheroes, and even Disney characters.
The winning staff costume went to Little Miss Sunshine. Well done Miss Fawcett
Around the Academy teachers continued their day like normal - Little Miss Princess was seen teaching English to Y11, Fantastic Mr Fox taught PE to Y9, and Tigger was seen on duty at lunch!
'Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body' - Joseph Addison
In search of a new read this Spring?
Check out these exciting new reads available in the Sherwood Centre:
- The Uncommoners: The Crooked Sixpence - By Jennifer Bell
- Girls On Tour - By Zoe Sugg
- Heroes of the Olympus - By Rick Riordan
- The Bone Sparrow - By Zana Fraillon
- Front Line - By Michael Grant
- Opal Plumstead - By Jacqueline Wilson