Our School App Stay connected on the go...
Behaviour for Learning
Good behaviour is essential to the effective operation of Merchants' Academy, without it, students are not able to make outstanding progress in their learning as teachers are unable to teach effectively. To ensure outstanding behaviour in the Academy there is a very clear, easily understood, highly effective behaviour system that is consistently and comprehensively applied by all staff.
- Believes that good behaviour is based on respect for each other and for the Academy as a place of learning. We show this respect through politeness and courtesy.
- Considers that everybody should be co-operative, courteous and considerate; all must strive to maintain attitudes of mutual respect and tolerance - adults need to communicate standards and expectations positively and clearly.
- Believes that excellent learning can only take place in a controlled environment, normally in lessons that are calm and orderly, an atmosphere that allows teachers to get on with the business of teaching and students the business of learning.
- Asserts that no student has the right to disrupt the education of others.
- Recognises that adults need to communicate standards and expectations positively and clearly and that limits must be clearly defined and corrective actions must be appropriate, prompt and consistent.
- Maintains that the management of student behaviour is the responsibility of all members of the Academy community and that this management should be firm, fair, positive, assertive and whenever possible proactive rather than aggressive and reactive - appropriate conduct should be acknowledged and rewarded conspicuously.
- Involves students in the formation and implementation of policy.
- Values praise over reproach or sanction but acknowledge the need for the appropriate use of both.
Download the complete Academy Behaviour for Learning Policy below.